Monday 11 June 2012

Ten songs

Here's an arbitrary list of ten songs that you must hear this month.

Playlist here:

Grizzly Bear: Sleeping Ute
The latest track from Brooklyn-based band Grizzly Bear. As with every Grizzly Bear tune, this waltzes into your subconscious and before you know it, you're humming along.

Theme Park: Milk
Try not to dance to this. Go on, I dare you. This is so dance-able and I nearly fell down the stairs at the Brixton Academy while bopping along to this track. I met the lead singer following the gig and told him how much I loved their music. More Theme Park please.

The Walkmen: We Can't Be Beat
From the latest Walkmen album. This is a beautiful track from a band who are on my definite list to see live at some point.

Kindness: House
Saw this performed live at Field Day, and it hasn't left me. It is quite a euphoric record. Adam Bainbridge's album is hit and miss (see/hear the dreadful cover of Anyone Can Fall In Love) but this track is mighty fine on the album.

Wild Beasts: Brave Bulging Buoyant Clairvoyants
I forgot how good Wild Beasts were. This track, from their debut record Limbo, Panto is a good old footstomper. This can be completely addictive.

Scritti Politti- Asylums in Jerusalem
Oh, the loops and the swirls and the bass line here is a joy. This is from the 1981 album Songs to Remember, which is so highly underrated.

Summer Camp: Better Off Without You
Another act I saw at Field Day. This track bounces along and there is such an element of nostalgia. I should also point out that I am a little bit in love with the lead singer Elizabeth Sankey. Her vocals are excellent here; a top little tune.

The Cure- 10:15 Saturday Night
Drip, drip, drip, drip, drip. Yes. Need I say anymore? The coolest song in the world.

Madness: Michael Caine
I'm allowed a couple of blasts from the pasts aren't I? Madness, having recently played on Buckingham Palace roof are quite magnificent here in this 1984 track. Beautifully written, regarding tricky subject matter. Sung by Cathal Smyth.

Mountain Man: Animal Tracks
Just go and listen and fall in love with this song. The harmonies and the vocals of the trio is so beautiful. I bet you can't just play it the once.

I would post more, but those ten for the time being. I've selected new and old tracks here, but that's allowed isn't it?

Are there any other tracks I must hear, that I have missed off?


No comments:

Post a Comment