Thursday 29 December 2011

Albums of the Year 2011

Here's four new albums that I think have been pretty fantastic this year.

Metronomy- English Riviera
As I may have discussed in an earlier blog entry, Metronomy really rocked the boat this year with this album. From start to finish a true jaunty masterpiece; I find it difficult to explain without actually playing. I picked up this album in the shop almost by accident, but it became a real favourite. Tracks like Some Written and Corinne are unbeatable.

Everything Everything- Man Alive
OK, not strictly 2011, but this was out in late 2010 and was playing in my car well into the early echelons of this year. I think this might be my "most played album but still haven't got the foggiest idea of what they're singing about" award. I have learnt all the lyrics to Schoolin' and to Final Form; two highlights on a masterpiece of a debut album.

Feist- Metals
Didn't know this album that well, until I saw Leslie Feist live. When I saw her the tracks on this album danced to life. Graveyard will send shivers up your spine, and How Come You Never Go There is such an adorable record. Also, towards the end there's a hidden gem in the beautiful chords of Anti-Pioneer.

Elbow- Build a Rocket Boys
Just simply a cracking album. The opener The Birds is quite simply stunning. With many highs and lows it waltzes along and enthuses the listener to stay with it. Ending with tracks such as Open Arms and Dear Friends is the cherry on the icing.

All the above albums have been rotating in my car for the past twelve months. I now have placed them carefully away to preserve their goodness. Alas, I will never know the correct lyrics to Qwerty Finger by Everything Everything.

Here's to more musical goodness in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment